Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Get Your Hankies Ready......


No need to fear......this isn't a sad story, just me, admitting that I have a few issues when it comes to hankies. It's not that I don't like them - I love them!!! They are so bright and colorful, and........girly!!! I just can't get enough them.

David is slightly dismayed and repulsed by my obsession. The thought that something once used to blow someone's nose can somehow become a treasure, is incomprehensible. Okay, so they might have once been used for something less than sanitary, but I simply don't care. I choose to focus on the idea that they were once used to dry the tears of a mother as she said good-bye to her son headed off to war, or the tears of joy as that same son returned. They carry stories of heartache and hear felt joy - they have a history. Plus, once washed and ironed, they become so versatile, useful, and fashionable. Possibilities with these cute little squares of floral bliss are endless. And the best part - they are not hard to find and are quite cheap! I find most of mine for a dollar or two at antique or thrift stores.

I seem to find more and more uses for them the longer I have them and the more I acquire. I've used them for home decor and self decor. I've used them in craft projects. Sometimes, I just get them out and look at them for enjoyment. I'm sure a lot of women do this with shoes - I just like hankies.


I truly believe I'm drawn to hankies because I was accidentally born a few decades too late. I long to live in the era when women wore gloves and glorious hats, dressed up to go to town, and carried hankies. The world just seemed more glamorous back then. So, I'll continue to collect my hankies and find new uses for them. Useful or not, they make me smile!

*Re-use, Re-purpose, Re-cylce - creative uses for hankies
*From Farm to Table - Mother's Day Luncheon Crab Sandwiches

No comments:

Post a Comment