Wednesday, April 13, 2011

FFA............Family, Friends, & Agriculture

During high school, I believed that FFA was a club solely for boys. I'm not exactly sure what I thought they did out there in the Ag shop, but I did know a few things - they wore overalls, they drank a lot of Pepsi, and, I'm pretty sure, they didn't watch their language. I have been privy to the telling and retelling of many a story of all that they "accomplished" during those afternoon hours. I won't be conveying any of those stories here!

Since marrying into a dairy-farm-family consisting of one sister and five brothers, I have had a first hand education on the finer points of farming, and I've been re-introduced to FFA. David and his brothers were all active in FFA on some level and over the years I learned more. I was glad to learn that overalls were not "official dress", that girls are more than welcome, and that there is so much that can be accomplished by an individual if motivated to do so. It wasn't until our own children went into high school that I truly gained an appreciation for all that it had to offer.

Our first four children are girls, and since acquiring a somewhat-feminist attitude, I was bound and determined that if they wanted to join FFA, I would be more than supportive. Our oldest, Emilee, wasn't thrilled with the idea, but signed up for an Ag class simply because she was disinterested in the other electives that were being offered. And, as many freshman do, she paid her FFA dues simply to get a school excused pass to go to the state fair. Initially, I'm sure the social aspects were very enticing. They seemed to have more activities than most clubs and they knew a lot of kids from the other high schools. Over time, she started to notice that the kids that were really involved in FFA and it's competitions, had some personal qualities and characteristics that she admired. They weren't afraid to speak in front of a crowd, they had a level of confidence not seen in many h.s. students, and they were a fun, loyal group. So once Em decided that she was "all in" we began our journey into finding out what FFA was truly about.

Since that time, we now have two daughters that have been very active in FFA. They've participated in multiple contests - ranging from parliamentary procedure to dairy judging. They've been able to attend the national convention and see parts of the country that they otherwise wouldn't have. They've competed on state and national levels. Most of all, they've found a place to develop those personal qualities that will someday help them in real life situations. They've gained interview skills, speaking skills, and been given the opportunity to be responsible through leadership positions. They have found a voice.

We spent last weekend at the state FFA convention watching Emilee compete. It was a joy. Her Ag Sales team took first and will now represent Idaho at the national convention. She's worked hard and we are very proud. FFA isn't really a spectator sport and not many show up to cheer these kids on. It's kind of sad really. I looked around at all the kids there, honing their mental skills through career development events, giving speeches on current issues, and working as teams and individuals without any expectation that people outside of their FFA circle will fully understand or appreciate what they've done. As a parent, I am so grateful for their teachers that are willing to put in the extra time to nurture students through these types of opportunities. Most of all, I'm grateful for the growth I've seen in my girls, their willingness to work hard, and make the most of every chance they've been given.

FFA stands for Future Farmers of America, but for me it means so much more. Yes, they do take Ag classes and learn about the future of farming. They also learn to strengthen themselves and their communities through leadership in agriculture while learning to place value on those things that are pertinent and real. I am grateful for the FFA program.














Preston's 2011 All Girl Parliamentary Team:
Abbie Shaffer, Kylee Fellows, Lauren Gleed, Emilee Roberts, Heather Winn, and Sara Smith



*Life on the Farm - Business or Pleasure?
*From Farm to Table - Monte Cristo meets BLT

1 comment:

  1. I feel that way about Debate for Jesse. He's grown and evolved so much and it has helped him a lot in public speaking and the friendships he's made have been great. Isn't it fun watching them grow and make great choices?!?!

    ReplyDelete