Friday, May 18, 2012

Lasts and Firsts



As I was sweeping out the garage yesterday morning, the girls came out to take off for school.  Hannah announced, "This will be our last day of school together".  I really hadn't put it together, and for a moment I felt a rush of emotion.  I have taken pictures of these two on their first day of school for years.  You see, they are only a year apart and have had a lot of "togethers".  Then I was shocked as Hannah suggested that I take a picture (she hates having her picture taken!).  So I realized that this was a fleeting moment and even the girls felt it's importance.

These two have come a long way.  They are two very different personalities and have very different interest and talents.  For years the differences kept them at odds, but once they embraced the idea that they didn't have to be the same and that the differences would be a benefit to them, they have been very real friends.  I am not sure that there is anything more pleasing to a parent than when your children are truly friends!




 Later that day a "first" took place.  I took our new puppy up to pet day for Steven.  He's our youngest and I am sure that there will be complaints from the older kids.  It's Herman's puppy, so I got him out of class to help out.

The kids loved Maybell and I think she loved all of the attention!


I think Steven didn't mind it either!




2 comments:

  1. Things have been a little melancholy around here lately too...thinking about graduation and the next life steps. I just pray that I have done enough to prepare home for what's to come!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I oscillate from being a little sad to being so excited for Em! She is about to take off on a great adventure - one where she finds herself! It's such a great time of life and I hope she is well prepared for the big decisions that are coming. I have a lot of faith in her.....sometimes I think she is more mature than I am. Plus, she won't be too far away - just at USU, so I can check on her if I feel the need. She's a great kid and I can't wait to see what she'll do with the next few years of her life!

    ReplyDelete