Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Opal of My Eye


I haven't blogged in awhile.  I feel a little bad, but I've been lured away by a new love.........my '63 Lil Loafer trailer.  I acquired it while hanging with some of my best pals a few weeks back.  Since that time, I have been consumed with my "make-over" ambition and spent every extra minute painting, sewing, and dreaming.  Yesterday, I finally finished!  Well, I finished the inside, at least for now.  I've heard that these little trailers can cause an infatuation that keeps you tweaking, updating, and working on them.  It's a real love affair!  I wanted to share some of my before and after photos.  I would love nothing more than to hear your comments!


Here's the "before" eating/sitting area.  The birch interior was in great shape, so not too much work  was needed - just dollying it up a bit.  It was missing the table, so I re-purposed an old door.  David even commented how much he liked my new "table"!





The other end of the trailer had old wood paneling and brown appliances.  It did not have that glamping feeling!  So I painted the paneling cream and the appliances a deep turquoise.  I also painted the drawer fronts a pale pink and added clear glass pulls.  Some might find it a little girly, but that's the point - I am a girl and it's my trailer!





Here's the "after"!  I just love how much lighter and brighter it is!  Check out the cool original back splash behind the stove.......so cute!




 And here's the in-between space, the closet.  It gives some of my kids a headache that one door is wood while the other is painted.  Truth is that one was the nice birch and the other the yucky paneling. I guess I am too lazy to replace one of the doors and/or paint over the wood (that just seems morally wrong).  The only solution was to paint the paneled door and leave the other.  It doesn't bother me and well, it's my trailer!!






After spending so much time and effort, I feel as if I've birthed another child - one of my creative self.  I now understand why the women who re-do these vintage trailers name them!  In that spirit, I have named my sweet, little bundle of fun, Opal!  Because, well, she's a real gem.......and I love her!!


* Check out the new recipe I tried yesterday - Citrus Coconut Butter Cookie -
under the recipe tab! 

6 comments:

  1. I think it turned out amazing! You have a real talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I L.O.V.E IT!! No, seriously, I love it! I want to come take a gander in person. SO SUPER CUTE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come by anytime!! I enjoy visits.....as long as you take me the way I am. Some days it could be p.j.s at noon!

      Delete
  3. Kayla! This is soooo cute! I love it! It is funny you mentioned this to me....a couple years ago I was thinking about getting your classic, typical Winnebago from the year I was born and renovating that. Fixing it up cute and fun and just living out of it for a while. I think you and I need to talk more...
    Allyson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should get something from the year you were born!! And we should talk more.....definitely!!! You should bring the kiddos up sometime for a cookout! My kids would love it!

      Delete