Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Obsessions

I have some very strange obsessions, I admit.  My kids remind me all of the time about my issues.  You hear it said that the start of solving any problem is admitting we have one, so here is my confession of obsessions.  I have an obsession for:


Aprons
This obsessions started awhile ago.  I can't help but buy any kind of apron I can lay my hands on.  I believe I have over 30 aprons.  Most are vintage or used.   A few I have made.  I have a hard time using one that is brand new, crisp, and stiff.  It's much easier to dry your wet/soiled hands on one that has "been there, done that".  I also find it romantic to think of all of the great meals that my aprons have seen.  Strange, but somehow I believe that experience will aid me in my endeavor to create a good meal.  I think in the future, I would like to share my aprons on my blog - show and tell style.  I recently made one out of a man's old dress shirt.  It was super simple to make and fun to transform an old shirt into something useful.  You can check it out under the Repurpose tab.


Fabric
I also am addicted to fabric.  I just can't help myself.  Since the basis for most of my creative endeavors is fabric, I see potential for many projects in just one print.  Because of this, it's hard NOT to buy cute fabric, especially when it is on a great sale.  This is the stack that I've acquired since Black Friday.  Pretty excited about the possibilities.


Kitchen Gadgets
Another thing that I can't resist is vintage kitchen gadgets and canisters.  I love the bright cheery colors and that it seems to make the everyday chore of cooking a little more fun.


Vintage Dresses


Vintage Dress Patterns
I am in LOVE with vintage dresses and dress patterns (which is used as justification for my fabric addiction).  I love the ultra feminine lines of vintage dresses.  This will seem like an odd addiction to some, seeing that I have never been a huge fan of wearing dresses.....I see a change in my future.

The very last addiction that I will share, is my love of thrifting.  All of my addictions above, aside from maybe my fabric, are all fueled by my love of thrift store shopping.  I have found so many treasures for so little.  Some of my very favorite things, I have bought for merely a couple of dollars.  The funny thing is, that these items are the ones that I get the most compliments on.  Also, I love the idea that what I am wearing or decorating with just can't be bought by anyone, it is a one of a kind find.

As you can see, I am pretty much addicted to anything vintage.  So there you go.  I have confessed.  I would like to think that revealing my quirky addictions might be a healthy start to curbing them.......or maybe not!

2 comments:

  1. Kayla - I like your blog. I like your obsessions. Fun. I thought of you a few weeks ago when I read an article in my local newspaper (Seattle Times) that did a piece on a vintage trailers (like the one you've redone) and how their are a group of trailer owners who go around and sell stuff out of their trailers, kind of like a farmer's market. The pictures were fun to see. Look, I just found the link for you: http://seattletimes.com/html/designdecor/2019764987_findsgeorgetownfleaxml.html

    Have fun with your obsessions.

    Colette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Colette. I will definitely check out the link. I hope all is well with you and yours - happy holidays!!

    ReplyDelete