Thursday, July 5, 2012

Feeling a Little Old


Over the last month, two of my high school classmates have lost a parent.  I can't imagine the pain they must be feeling.  I spent a good portion of the day thinking about how fortunate I am that both my parents and my in-laws are still alive and also that we live so close to both of them.  What a blessing it is for my children to be able to make memories with their grandparents.

It's also been hard to wrap my brain around the fact that I could lose a parent at any time.  It seems like yesterday, they were the ones following me to my activities, now I am the one running around and  chasing my kids to this activity or that.  When was that torch passed?  In my rush to keep up with the kids, I guess I missed it.  Time is precious.  I hope that I am making the most of it.......

As I drove up to the mortuary to give my condolences, I thought about how quickly time flies and how many things can change in such a short amount of time.  A feeling of sadness came over me mourning the loss of time I will never get back....  

This feeling didn't last for long.  I arrived home to dinner on the table and the air filled with laughter.  My mood brightened.  In a more jovial way, I was once again reminded that I am no youngster.  As we were sitting around the table, listening to some 50's music I had turned on, my kids started singing along.  The song Mr. Sandman came on.  At it's conclusion, Hannah turned to me and asked, "Why does she want Mr. Sandman to bring her a drink?".  I thought I was going to die laughing.  Only moments later, Maren came out during My Boyfriend's Back.  I was cleaning up the kitchen when her words caught my ear...."hey, my boyfriend's fat, oh yeah now, my boyfriend's fat".  I guess the generation gap is effective both ways - I can't understand their music and they can't understand mine.  That's okay because we all sat around laughing together and at each other.  These are the memories that are really worth making before time runs out!










No comments:

Post a Comment