Tuesday, December 20, 2011

What's Old is New - for me at least!!





A few months back, I got real tired of my kitchen/dining room decor. It was mostly country colors and I wanted something a bit more bright. I have quite a bit of vintage knickknacks, so I traded country for vintage.

When it was time to break out the Christmas decor, I realized that all of my decorations for that room were still in the country colors - barn red, straw yellow, country blue, etc. It just didn't work at all. I gave quite a bit of it to our local thrift store and started scouring magazines for a look that would work, enchant, and use items that I already had.

I found an idea to use old vintage hankies to make an mantel scarf. The hankies were cut in half (which was hard for me to do!), backed by white fabric edged with bright red rick rack. It was perfect. I tried to mimic what I had seen with items on hand, and since it was Sunday, I had to pull from my stash any red and white fabric I had. I wish I would have had something a little less mundane as the red/white stripe, but it works! I also figured out that instead of cutting and sewing the edges of the white background fabric, I could use cheap white cloth napkins cut in half. These worked so well and I didn't have to hem them. Yay!!


I haven't quite figured out the actual decorations on top of the mantel yet, but there's always next year. For now, it works!


*Just a closer view



1 comment: