Thursday, December 15, 2011

Recipes, Fads, and Fancies.......Oh My!!!

As Christmas approaches, I'm constantly looking for new books/magazines that will inspire me creatively. Anyone who knows me beyond a casual hello, knows that I love anything antique or vintage, so I thought I would share a few of my favorite finds to incorporate everyday vintage items into your Christmas splendor.

Last year, I found The Farm Chicks Christmas book. It is filled with recipes, creative inspiration, and festive party ideas for the season. The colors are bright and cheery - just like the holiday season should be!

This year, I found a few choices at my local Sam's Club - not where I was expecting to find any kind of inspiration besides the frozen, fatty kind! They carried a handful of Christmas books by Susan Waggoner. I picked the two that spoke to me most. One is entitled Christmas Memories. This charming book takes a look at the gifts, activities, and fads that were most popular from the 1920's - 1960's. This book is more informational than instructional. It's a fun look back at the trends of the day from toys to attire - a really fun read.

The other one that I found fun is called Have Yourself a Very Vintage Christmas. It covers the same time period, but takes each decade separately and talks about the crafts, decorating tips and recipes from each era. I LOVE this book. Some of the treasures that I've picked up, actually make an appearance in this fun book. For me, the best part is found in the back. There is found time period clipart that you can use in any crafty way you see fit - from cards to ornaments. The book is filled with inspirational instruction on many ways to use these tidbits, but with a little creativity, many fun holiday projects could be produced.

I've never considered myself very original, so I love books, like these, that help me find that tiny creative being living inside me!



I hope you find yours too! Enjoy!!





No comments:

Post a Comment