Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Exercising....and Motivation

When it comes to the subject of exercising, I lack one thing....motivation.  I don't find it fun, or freeing, or refreshing.  There are other activities that I've found that rejuvenate me just fine.  The only motivation I am left with is one of trying to magically turn back the clock or fight gravity and that seems like a losing battle.  Too bad it's not as easy as DST and we've all seen those ladies that deny their age and just look ridiculous.  Obviously, these are the justifications I use that aid in my lack of exercise commitment.


Today is different.  I am going to exercise....my right to vote.  Trust me, I have had times that I lack motivation.  I live in a predominately red state, which means that no matter how I vote, it really doesn't seem to matter.  I have a busy day planned and taking time to go vote seems, honestly, kind of pointless, yet I have never missed a vote since 1992 - even if it's just local elections (which I actually feel I have a say in).  

So why do I keep doing it?  Mostly because it is my right and privilege.  I think back to the images in Iraq of those risking their lives just to cast their ballot and embrace a freedom that I am granted on a regular basis.  I do it for those women who are still deemed less than equal and are not given a voice.  I do it because whether it counts or not, it is also my duty and I feel a very real sense of "country" when I exercise my right to vote.

This year, more than others, I also have a motivation to see this election cycle end and casting my vote is a part of that closure.  Seeing politics through the lens of social media is a study in social and human psychology for sure.  I have seen more divisiveness, grand assumptions, and name calling than ever.  Words like "liar", "tyranny", "lazy", "stupid", and others have been used in an attempt to sure up one's point of view as they share it with others.  Phrases like "I can't understand why" or "it's just so crazy" to describe points of view that don't align with one's already held.

All of this talk is very disheartening to me.  It makes me lack hope in humanity.  I am sure these statements cross party lines.  Of course, I am only inundated from one direction, but I am not so naive that I don't understand that there is enough name calling to go around.  Right now our country is pretty much split down the middle when it comes to voting - or at least that is what the polls are saying.  So when one claims that "those who vote for **** are just plain stupid"  or "a vote for **** is a vote for tyranny" I have to question that person's own thoughtfulness.  To simply disregard one half of our country's citizens in that manner is less than wise or respectful.  

The beauty of America, in my opinion, is that through diversity we move forward - diversity of cultures, diversity of thought, diversity of perspectives.  If we only surround ourselves with people and perspectives like our own, we are never challenged and likely to never see any kind of change.  So, to blatantly disregard anyone or any thought that challenges our own is naive.  To never see the value in an opposing thought is to refuse understanding and it's through understanding that we also move forward.  It's not that we have to embrace all points of view, but to disregard diversity of thought is just as silly.

As for diversity, it will find it's way onto my own ballot as I really don't align myself with any one party.  I try to look at individual issues and vote for what I truly believe is the best, not just for me, but for my fellow citizens.  I also believe that not any one candidate is the magic fix to all problems.  As humans we are all flawed.  We also all have our own strengths. So I will prioritize my issues, look at the strengths that are brought to the table and vote....whether it counts or not.  And, if my vote isn't the same as yours, well, let me assure you, I am not lazy, stupid, a tyrant, or lack love for my country.  I am an American citizen and like it or not, it's my right.  I will embrace it, celebrate it, and yes, I will exercise it!!


6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Mickelle! Not sure how much fun it will be. Lucky for us, you can usually walk right in, vote, and be done! Hope you enjoy your day at the polls as well!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful. And brilliantly written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rene'!! That means a lot coming from a writer such as yourself!

      Delete
  3. I voted absentee last week. A few people have asked me who I voted for and I have hesitated to respond. I was/am not in love with either Presidential candidate. I see that both have flaws yet both have strengths. Who I eventually voted for came down to a couple small reasons and even then it was mostly because I knew I needed to get that ballot in the mail before it was too late, so I just needed to make a decision. I too had those thoughts of "at the end of the day, I live in Utah, so no matter what box I check, it's a check for Republicans." It is difficult for many of us around the country, I think, who are on the fence, or part of the opposite party in a non-swing state. I am truly tempted if/when asked by people who I voted for to tell them the opposite candidate of who I think they voted for (I.e. tell my WA friends I voted for Romney and my UT/ID friends I voted for Obama) just to throw them off their groove. Sorry for the novel. At the end of the day, whose business is it but your own who you vote for?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked your novel, but of course, I like you!! You are thoughtful and I love our discussions. Happy you are my sis-in-law and my friend!

      Delete