Thursday, November 1, 2012

Ahhhh...November

Well, another October has come and gone.  I am a huge fan of the month, but to be completely honest - I really don't like Halloween.  I know that just sounds awful.  It's not because I think it's some kind of terrible worship of the occult, but it is just crazy.  I've spent so many years having to carve multiple pumpkins (since the kids were too little be handling knives), make multiple candy runs (since we can't help ourselves and we break into the trick or treat candy days before), and even though I have a lovely Mother-in-law that helps the little ones figure out costumes, someone has a come-apart every Halloween night trying to figure out a last minute costume.


This year was a little different.  All of the kids carved their own pumpkins.  I still had to clean out Lottie's since she can't handle the slimy pumpkin guts.  Overall, pumpkin carving was much easier this year, but only five jack-o-lanterns on the porch makes me a little sad.....

Here's the kids with their creations -






They did a great job! 

Not only was Halloween different when it came to pumpkin carving, it was also the first year that we just stayed home.  Steven went trick or treating with a friend, Herman didn't want to go alone, and Maren had a friend party in the basement.  The older girls got home from basketball tryouts and were more than content to eat party pizza and sit around the table.  We had no trick or treaters come to the house and we actually forgot to light our jack-o-lanterns.  Sounds pretty lame, eh?  Lame, maybe, but more relaxing and enjoyable for sure.  I will miss raiding the kids Halloween candy bags for the next week or so, but hey, I don't need it.  I have 120 of the "world's finest" chocolate bars in the house for some school science fund raiser.  By the way, need any more chocolate?

Aside from Halloween, October has been filled with basketball tournaments, family vacation to Washington, and putting the yard to bed.  All good things, but November means snow flurries, sweater weather, and Thanksgiving - yum, turkey!!  It also means that the kids can't get too mad at me for listening to Christmas music - not that I haven't already, but I now can without shame.

Ahhhhh....November!!

No comments:

Post a Comment