Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My First Born


It's not easy being the first born. I always thought middle children had it the hardest, but there are times that I question that assumption.  Through the years, as I've tried and sometimes failed at the "firsts" of being a mom, I've realized that being the parental guinea pig isn't an easy task.  Because of this, I am so thankful for Emilee Jane, our oldest, for being so patient with me and her father as we charter new adventures as she grows older.
From the moment she entered this world, she has been daddy's little girl.  They shared many firsts together - chips and sour cream, checking the cows, and barrettes in David's hair.  She could get him to do things that I would have never dreamed possible.  He did and would still do anything for her. There were times I was a little jealous of their relationship, but I am so happy that they share that special father/daughter bond.


Emilee is the oldest of six and she had her share of responsibility from an early age.  She was my right hand man (or girl) when it came to helping in the house and with her siblings.  There were times, I am sure, that they thought she was bossy, but as they have gotten older, they realize what a great big sister they have.  She has been a great example of hard work, dedication, and doing what is right.  She has a big heart and is willing to sacrifice her time in support of her siblings.  As parents, we couldn't have asked for anything more.


Emilee now has a new family - her college family.  She is only a half hour away and we end up seeing her at least once a week, but we still miss her.  We know she is having fun, learning a lot, and finding out who she is. It has been a delight watching her experience new things and to know that she is capable of accomplishing all that she sets her mind to.  We have a lot of faith in her and know that she will make this world a better place just by being herself.

On Sunday, I missed seeing her walk up the stairs and being the first to wish her happy birthday.  We did make it to Logan to celebrate with her, but as I sat across the table from her, I realized that she isn't my little girl anymore, she is an adult.  I am so proud of her and the lady she is becoming.  As my role of mother dwindles and my role as friend and confidant grows, I feel so blessed to have had her as my daughter.....and a little old!  Love you, Em!!

No comments:

Post a Comment