Sunday, January 6, 2013

Cross Over the Bridge

I just heard some sad news.  During Lottie and my Sunday tradition of watching the CBS Sunday Morning News, I was made aware that, last Tuesday, Patti Page passed away.  


A lot of my peers, I imagine, have no idea or would care much of her passing.  I, on the other hand, am slightly saddened.  You see her Greatest Hits album is like the soundtrack to the time spent at Grandma and Grandpa Fonnesbeck's house.


My love of Patti Page was born of convenience.  When Grandpa wasn't out in the yard playing with us, he was in the front room, watching golf.  We didn't really care who was up by how many strokes, who'd just birdied hole 16, or who'd just won the coveted green jacket.  We just didn't want to sit and watch that boring sport.  During these times is when Grandma would have us dust her dining room table legs for a quarter.  I'm sure this was done to curtail our rambunctious nature while inside.  Our task was always done to the sounds of Patti Page.  We would start the record, crawl under her ornate table and spend the first couple of songs dusting.  Then we would finish out the record while visiting, singing along, or dancing.

We all became very familiar with Patti and her classic songs.  How happy I was a few years back when I found her Greatest Hits on CD.  I immediately ordered it and spent a day sewing and thinking of my grandparents who had passed away years previous.  It was so fun to hear those songs as an adult and realize her musical talent on a new level.  I love old music.  It was long before autotune and the other technological advances that artists use today.  You know that what you hear is REAL.  Here's one of my favorite songs.  It also seems fitting somehow to share it, since she has crossed over to another place.


Now, I am headed upstairs to dig through my stack of CDs in hopes of honoring her and my grandparents today.

No comments:

Post a Comment