Saturday, January 12, 2013

Hoop Dreams - Maybe...

I most definitely love my kids.  This means that I want to make them happy.  This also means sacrifice.  Every Mom knows that you spend a lot of time facilitating things for children because it is important to them, not you.  Motherhood isn't about you at all...

You see, five of my six kids love basketball.  Most of my children are taller than average, so it seems like a pretty good fit.  Anymore, to insure that they get the opportunity to excel at what they love, you must go above and beyond trying to help them improve their skills, learn to be aggressive, and also to play on a team with others.

This would be okay for someone with a couple of kids, or someone who's children didn't all love the same thing.  I would be lying if I didn't say that there are times I feel overwhelmed by the sheer amount of time I spend running kids to and from practices and games, but it was all of my own doing.  Plus, you can't allow one to pursue his/her love and not the others.

So after this long rant about how picked on I am, I just want to say with all things considered, I am super proud of each of my children's determination, dedication, and their resolve to do their best.  When I stop long enough to catch my breath and look at it in a different perspective, I am getting way more back in return than I have invested.

Just wanted to share some pics of my kiddos.


Hannah driving in.


Lottie shooting.


Maren going up for the rebound.


Herman handling the ball.


Steven's lay up.

Even with all the time invested, they still miss shots, make mistakes, don't always get the credit they deserve, and deal with disappointment, but isn't that life?  That is really what I hope they take away - life lessons and skills.

Just to clarify.....I do not have NBA dreams for my children.  With all of the basketball, I wonder if we've been mistaken for that "crazy basketball family".  But really, who cares?  My kids love it and I love them, so there you go.

*Just a shout out to Elite basketball and their amazing coaches.  They have a lot to do with the progress my kids are making.  Thanks DB and Jeff!!

No comments:

Post a Comment