Monday, January 9, 2012

Grandma's Recipe Book

A few years back, my mom surprised me with a gift. It was one of my Grandma Fonnesbeck's cookbooks. It's very old, oil cloth, and beautiful. Some of the pages are torn and faded, but that's what makes it so special - the years of use that this little book has seen, the hands that have held it carefully as, they worked to make some sort of special treat for the ones they love.




It's filled with recipes of a bygone era: Vinegar Cake, Celery in White Sauce, Danish Sweet Soup, Raisin Cremes, and many others - treats that have fallen out of fashion or just been lost with the convenience of mixes and ready-mades filled with preservatives. What hasn't been lost - thank goodness - is my Grandmother's handwritten notes in the margins! What a treasure!




Now, I have a Honey Cake to go make!

2 comments:

  1. Is the book too old to be scanned? I would love to have copies of the recipes that have her notes on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would too. No fair you have this :)

    ReplyDelete