Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Lost Art......


I am a big fan of technology. In so many ways, I love it! I'm not sure that it loves me, but no matter, it makes my life much easier. It's an amazing thing, to be able to keep in touch with family, find information in seconds, and create projects with ease. There are apps for about anything that you desire. I'm sure I wouldn't want to live without it. Still, with the ease of technology, there are some things that have been lost.



Lying in the aftermath of the surge of technology, is the art of penmanship. I am always in awe of the beautiful handwriting that accompanies old photos, journals, and letters. The swirls and twirls mesmerize me as the words seem to flow across the page. People used to take pride in their handwriting and felt lucky to have an education. In honor of that opportunity, they took great care in portraying on the page what they had learned.

Anymore, most of us give very little or no thought to how our handwriting appears. I am one of the worst offenders. When it comes to producing anything of value, I use my computer with it's myriad of fonts and colors. Other than that, I simply and quickly scribble out what's on my mind without regard to how it looks or if it's even legible. I am determined to change that - to take pride and find joy in the art of penmanship.






3 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful idea.. I am with you 100% on this one! I have always taken great pride in my own handwriting, because I owe it all to my Dad.. he is the one who corrected me often when I was younger and spent countless hours teaching me how each letter should look. ( My handwriting was atrocious to say the least) To this day, I still get complements whenever someone (strangers included) see me write! THANK YOU DAD!! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so funny, Kayla, because I was thinking about this very thing last week. I had out the books mom made us (white binders) and was admiring the beautiful penmanship. It is art. Maybe we can practice by writing each other letters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of the local schools stopped teaching cursive.

    ReplyDelete